No videos yet!
Click on "Watch later" to put videos here
Talib Kweli & Masta Ace On ‘Disposable Arts,’ Rakim, Eminem, Doom, ‘Crooklyn’ | People’s Party Full
In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli sits down with rapper, writer, producer, and original member of the legendary Juice Crew:
MASTA ACE Here’s what we got into:
• Ace’s bars exemplifying rhyme schemes that shaped Talib as an emcee.
• Rakim’s innovations of rhyme patterns impacting how Ace approached writing.
• How the song, ‘Crooklyn Dodgers’ for the 1994 Spike Lee joint, ‘Crooklyn’ came together.
• Ace being fully immersed in the early stages of hip hop, growing up in Brownsville, BK.
• Going to Brooklyn’s Sheepshead Bay High School and joining the football team.
• Working as a HS football coach for 11 years, while keeping his identity under wraps.
• Ace winning the first rap contest he entered himself in, in 1986.
• How Ace landed himself a spot on the Juice Crew and the song, ‘The Symphony.’
• A young Ol’ Dirty Bastard getting himself kicked off the Cold Chillin’ tour.
• The impact of Ace’s debut, ‘Take A Look Around’ and how he feels about it now.
• People thinking Ace’s voiced impression of Biz was really him on, ‘Me & The Biz.’
• Ace’s song, ‘Jeep Ass N*gga,’ and how it was inspired by LL’s, ‘The Boomin’ System.’
• Hearing how much Eminem was influenced by Ace’s, ‘SlaughtaHouse’ album.
• Breaking down how ‘Sittin’ On Chrome’ was Ace’s “compromise album.”
• His experience with Big Beat Records and how that album fell through.
• Being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and keeping it private for 13 years.
• Forming the eMC crew with Wordsworth, Stricklin, and Punchline.
• How his 2001 tour in the UK inspired the penning of ‘Disposable Arts.’
• The honesty of ‘Dear Diary’ and it’s pointing to where battle rap was going.
• The song, ‘Soda & Soap’ with Jean Grae originally being written for Will Smith.
• Ace and Marco Polo’s ‘A Breukelen Story’ leaning into Marco’s life.
• How ‘MA Doom: Son of Yvonne’ was born from Ace’s love of ‘Special Herbs.’
• Unpacking, ‘Home in America’ about the impact of systemic racism.
• Ace’s work on a hip hop musical based on three of his albums.
• What’s next for Ace?
Listen to “No Fear of Time” Black Star’s first album in 24 years. Only on Luminary.
Subscribe to UPROXX Video and ring the bell to turn on notifications:
New Episodes of People’s Party with Talib Kweli every Monday 9AMet/6AMpt. Watch all the episodes here:
Audio Podcast — Listen, Subscribe and Review!
The UPROXX Family
FOLLOW Masta Ace
More Jasmin Leigh:
Hip-Hop Heads Playlists:
90’s Hip Hop
2000’s Hip Hop
90’s R&B Hits
ABOUT UPROXX VIDEO:
UPROXX Video celebrates Hip-Hop, Style, and Creativity through a mix of original shows and music videos from the biggest artists, entertainers, and innovators from our culture.
PEOPLE’S PARTY WITH TALIB KWELI
People’s Party is a weekly interview show hosted by Talib Kweli and Jasmin Leigh. Guests range from the biggest names in hip-hop to global entertainers to the most progressive minds moving our culture forward. The audio podcast is available on Apple and Spotify.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
BUB ROCK – GO ROCK (PROD. BY NOLAN THE NINJA)
HonorRoll – Built Different |Shot x TayVisualz|